Devastated- family pet and allergy?

I am developing allergic asthma to our cocker spaniel blue roan Charlie and I think I will have to re-home him - his dander is causing the allergy - have you had a similar situation?

This is a very frustrating and sad situation. I have an Olde English Bulldogge which is one of the worst dogs to have for allergies. They slobber so they bother the part of your allergies that is allergic to the proteins in dogs saliva and also they shed and have a lot of dander. Their hair is so course it really irritates your skin and lets the dander in, it also seems to get stuck in clothing, fabric, carpets, etc.

I'm allergic to dogs but can put up with the allergies. My girlfriend on the other hand is extremely allergic and though she has tried it's just too bad. I'm basically in a situatin where I'm going to have to decide between my girlfriend and my dog so I feel for you.

I'm going to try to do everything in my power to keep both. They make sprays to spray your dog with that supposedly help the dander. I'm going to bathe my dog with special dander elinminating shampoo, brush him regularly, keep the house meticulously clean, only allow my dog in areas with wood floors not carept or fabric so I can swiffer up as much dander and hair daily as possible.

Air filters could help as well. I'd recommend getting an air filter, an ionizer and possibly an activated carbon air scrubber. I hope it works out for you.