Why am I allergic to cats but not dogs?

I'm 20 my whole life I could never stay at friends houses with cats without feeling like dying ... I cant go around a cat without wheezing sneezing itchy eyes nose gets stuffy! But I have a dog Ive had 3 dogs since I was born and any dog I'm around it never has bothered me. I love my dog so much and I'm obviously a dog person because of this reason. But I don't understand why I'm highly allergic to cats, can't even go near them yet I have a pet dog? lol I wish I could hold and pet a cat like I can dogs. lol I'm just curious as to why? Any doctors nurses veterinarians anybody know why?

I'm the very same way, cats drive my allergies crazy and though dogs will irritate me if I'm rolling around wrestling with them I can pretty much be around dogs without being bothered too much. Allergies are a funny thing, some people are super allergic to one breed of dog but not another. I think it just happens to be certain types of dander or proteins in the animals saliva and how your body reacts to it.

It's faily common for people to be allergic to both dogs and cats but much more so allergic to cats. Personally I notice certain breeds of dogs bother me much more so than others, Golden Retrievers are one of the worst for me however some people's goldens are much worse than others.

If you can try to do a little experiment and figure out whether you are more allergic to the dogs saliva or the dogs fur and dander.